The Hathershaw College

The Hathershaw College - Academy Trust

VLEEmailParentPayTwitter
Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College

Art (Key Stage 4)

 

Year 9

What will pupils study this year?

2 Year Delivery Model (Y9 & 10)

The first year is about building up skills and being confident with the art process of exploring through image. The second year has two modules; 60% of the marks in this course are available through controlled assessment. Students explore and create responses based on either the word ‘Identity’ or ‘Tropical’. The remaining 40% of the marks are available from the set task unit (exam unit). This is a similar process but based on words that a released in January.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 MOCK Portfolio Unit – Plants & Seeds 

 This is a ‘mock experience’ of what their portfolio unit will be. 

 Students are expected to photograph their own images. Students create a wide range of experimental drawings, paintings and mixed media responses on a variety of paper from A5- A2. Students have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists. 

 They will create an original piece that combines their skill, their idea and influence from their chosen artist. There is an enrichment trip arranged in December

 Spring Term

 This term is broken into two short projects. 

 Pattern -  Students explore a range of 5 patterns including Aboriginal, Keith Haring, Aztec and Mendhi. 

 Selfie – Students take ‘selfies’ with school tablets. The photographs are experimented used during the lessons. The programmes used a ‘E-drawing’ and ‘Super Photo’. These images are also explored using traditional painting and drawing media.

 Summer Term

 A Sense of Place 

 Students continue to refine and improve skills by creating a wide range of art responses based on the idea of ‘A Sense of Place’. Examples of mediums used will include mono printing, painting, water colour, pencil work, photography and charcoal. 

 Students will again have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists. Near the end of the term a review is given to all areas so students can identify their strongest skills. This will inform their choices for the Portfolio Controlled Assessment.

 

Year 10

What will pupils study this year?

 Second year of a 2 Year Delivery model

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Portfolio Unit - Controlled Assessment (Coursework Unit) 

 Our Students given the choice between ‘Identity’ or ‘Tropical’ as a theme to explore. 

 Students are expected to photograph their own images. Students create a wide range of experimental drawings, paintings and mixed media responses on a variety of paper from A5- A2. Students have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists. 

 They will create an original piece that combines their skill, their idea and influence from their chosen artist. There is an enrichment trip arranged in December.

 Spring Term

 Externally Set Task - Controlled Assessment (Exam Unit) 

 Similar to the coursework unit – students will create a wide range of art responses. The choices of titles are not sent to school until January. Examples of mediums used will include, mono printing, painting, water colour, pencil work, photography and charcoal. Students will again have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists.

 Summer Term

 Externally Set Task -Controlled Assessment (Exam Unit continued) 

 Students continue to refine and improve skills by creating a wide range of art responses. Examples of mediums used will include, mono printing, painting, water colour, pencil work, photography and charcoal. Students will again have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists.

 

Year 11

What will pupils study this year?

1 Year Delivery Model 

Art GCSE has two modules; 60% of the marks in this course are available through controlled assessment. Students explore and create responses based on either the word ‘Identity’ or ‘Tropical’. The remaining 40% of the marks are available from the set task unit (exam unit). This is a similar process but based on words that a released in January.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Portfolio Unit - Controlled Assessment (Coursework Unit) 

 Students are given the choice between ‘Identity’ or ‘Tropical’ as a theme to explore. 

 Students are expected to photograph their own images. Students create a wide range of experimental drawings, paintings and mixed media responses on a variety of paper from A5- A2. Students have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists. 

 They will create an original piece that combines their skill, their idea and influence from their chosen artist. They is an enrichment trip arranged in December.

 Spring Term

 Externally Set Task - Controlled Assessment (Exam Unit) 

 Similar to the coursework unit – students will create a wide range of art responses. The choices of titles are not sent to school until January. Examples of mediums used will include, mono printing, painting, water colour, pencil work, photography and charcoal. Students will again have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists.

 Summer Term

 Externally Set Task -Controlled Assessment (Exam Unit Continued)

 Students continue to refine and improve skills by creating a wide range of art responses. Examples of mediums used will include, mono printing, painting, water colour, pencil work, photography and charcoal. Students will again have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists.