The Hathershaw College

The Hathershaw College - Academy Trust

VLEEmailParentPayTwitter
Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College

Business Studies

 

Year 9

What will pupils study this year?

3 Year Delivery Model (Y9, 10 & 11)

 

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Enterprise and Entrepreneurship

 Exploring how business ideas come about while also exploring risk and reward.

 Spotting a Business Opportunity

 Students will look at how to spot a business opportunity through understanding customer needs and market research. 

 Spring Term

 Putting a Business Idea into Practice

 Students will research aims and objectives, business revenues, costs and profit, cash & cash-flow and sources of business finance.

 Making the Business Effective

 Looking at business ownership, business location and planning.  

 Summer Term

 Understanding External Influences on Business 

 Students will explore business stakeholders, technology and business, legislation and external influences.    

 

Year 10

What will pupils study this year?

 

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Growing the Business

 Students will explore ethics in business and business environment.

 Making Marketing Decisions

 The marketing mix.

 Spring Term

 Making Operational Decisions

 Students will take a look at suppliers and the sales process. 

 Making Financial Decisions

 Students will learn about gross/net profit and justifying business decisions.

 Summer Term

 Making Human Resources Decisions

 Looking at Organisational structure, recruitment, training & development and motivation.

 

Year 11

What will pupils study this year?

1 Year Delivery Model 

60% of the marks in this course are available through controlled assessment.  Students conduct research on a series of tasks set by the Examination Board before collating this information under controlled or exam conditions.  The remaining 40% of the marks are available from a Business Finance exam taken in the summer term.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Controlled Assessment

 Aims and Objectives - Students study Tesco and draw conclusions as to how well the business is meeting its aims. 

 Ethical Trading - Sudents assess how ethical or fairly Tesco operates.  This allows students to explore the wages paid to workers in developing countries making products for Tesco and the impact of Fair Trade

 Finance

 Profit & Loss Accounts - Students will learn about turnover, cost of sales, expenses, gross profit and net profitStudents will also be able to complete Profit and Loss Accounts to exam standard. 

 Balance Sheets - Students will learn the difference between Balance Sheets and Profit & Loss Accounts.  They will also be able to identify fixed assets, current assets, long term liabilities and current liabilities.

 Spring Term

 Controlled Assessment

 Functional Areas - Students study the work of functional areas including Human Resources, Finance, Operations, Marketing & Sales and Customer Service all in the context of Tesco. 

 In addition, students explore different methods of communication and how they help functional areas work together and communicate with others outside the business. 

 Finance

 Financial Documents - Students learn about a range of documents including purchase orders, invoices, statements, credit notes, remittance advice slips, delivery notes and good received notes.  They will be able to complete each one accurately.  

 Methods of Payment - Students learn how businesses can use different methods to pay their bills including debit/credit cards, online payments and trade credit.

 Summer Term

 Controlled Assessment 

 Stakeholders - Students learn about the roles and responsibilities of stakeholders and the difference between internal stakeholders such as employees and external stakeholders, for example the local community.  Conflicts of interest between different stakeholder groups are also considered.

Finally, students will consider laws that protect employees in the workplace.

 Finance

 Ratio Analysis - Students examine a number of ratios to measure:

  • Liquidity, including the current and acid test ratios

  • Profitability, including the gross profit margin, net profit margin and return on capital employed 

 Revision - Revision will also take place in preparation for the final exam which will include completion of a series of past papers. 

 Students will continually revisit finance topics in order to ensure that they remember the content in preparation for the final examination. 

 

Year 11

What will pupils study this year?

2 Year Delivery Model 

60% of the marks in this course are available through controlled assessment.  Students conduct research on a series of tasks set by the Examination Board before collating this information under controlled or exam conditions.  The remaining 40% of the marks are available from a Business Finance exam taken in the summer term at the end of the course.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Controlled Assessment

Functional Areas - Students will complete research on an activity about the work of functional areas including Human Resources, Finance, Operations, Marketing & Sales and Customer Service all in the context of Tesco.

 In addition, students explore different methods of communication and how they help functional areas work together and communicate with others outside the business. 

 Finance 

 Ratio analysis - Students examine a number of ratios to measure:

  • Liquidity, including the current and acid test ratios

  • Profitability, including the gross profit margin, net profit margin and return on capital employed

 Spring Term

 Controlled Assessment

 Stakeholders - Students learn about the roles and responsibilities of stakeholders and the difference between internal stakeholders such as employees and external stakeholders, for example the local community.  Conflicts of interest between different stakeholder groups are also considered.

Finally, students will consider laws that protect employees in the workplace.

 Finance 

 Methods of Payment - Students learn how businesses can use different methods to pay their bills including debit/credit cards, online payments and trade credit.

 Summer Term

 Controlled Assessment

 Students will prepare their final activity under controlled conditions as well as evaluating their work and updating research logs to provide evidence of information they have used. 

 Finance 

 Revision - Revision will also take place in preparation for the final exam which will include completion of a series of past papers.

 Students will continually revisit finance topics in order to ensure that they remember the content in preparation for the final examination.  The early stages of the year will be spent revising Profit and Loss Accounts, Balance Sheets and a range of financial documents (eg purchase orders, invoices) started in Year 9.