The Hathershaw College

The Hathershaw College - Academy Trust

VLEEmailParentPayTwitter
Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College

Media Studies

 

Year 9

What will pupils study this year?

3 Year Delivery Model

Pupils will complete the GCSE Media Studies qualification in a three-year model. The examination board for these qualifications is Eduqas and students are required to complete two examinations, which are collectively worth 70% of the overall grade, and complete one piece of production controlled assessment worth the remaining 30% of the overall grade. The results of these assessments will be graded 9- 1.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Print and Moving Image

 Key Concepts:

  • Genre
  • Media Language

  • Audience

 What is media studies? How does the media influence our way of living? Advertising project. Learn the different types of advertising. How do advertisers target an audience?

 Creation of an advertising campaign for a new teen product. This will incorporate print, television and viral advertising. Basic Photoshop skills will be taught to help with the production. A 500 word evaluation of their advert will also be included.

 Spring Term

 Print and Moving Image

 Key Concepts

  • Institutions
  • Representation

  • Media Language

  • Film and Television
  • Science Fiction Films

 Research the history of the sci-fi genre. Learn and identify technical film techniques such as camerawork, editing, lighting and sound. Case study the marketing of the Star Wars movie franchise. Analyse posters and film trailers for science fiction films. Write a 450 word critical essay on the way a sci-fi film is marketed.

 Television Identify the representation of characters and institutions in British situation comedies. Create a proposal for a new sit-com with character profiles using the stereotypical stock characters of the genre.

 Summer Term

 Print Media

 Key Concepts

  • Newspapers and Magazines

  • Representation

  • Media Language

 Learn about online newspapers, tabloids and broadsheets. Annotate examples using the key terminology. Write a newspaper article for a chosen news source. Compare the differences between the types of newspapers in a 400 word assignment.

  • Music magazines

 Identify the conventions of the music magazine genre. Design a front cover using Photoshop for a new music magazine aimed at a teenage audience.

 

Year 11

What will pupils study this year?

2 Year Delivery Model

Pupils will complete the GCSE Media Studies qualification in the final year of a two-year model. The examination board for this qualification is Eduqas and students are required to complete two examinations, which are collectively worth 70% of the overall grade, and complete one piece of production controlled assessmnet worth the remaining 30% of the overall grade. The results of these assessments will be graded 9- 1.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Controlled Assessment: Print

Create a front cover and a double page feature article for a new monthly general lifestyle magazine, for example in the style of GQ or Glamour. Your production should be aimed at an audience of 18-34 year old men or women. Length: 3 pages.

 - or -

 Create a DVD or Blu-ray front and back cover (including spine) and a poster for the theatrical release of a new film in either the romantic comedy or the spy genre. Production should be aimed at an audience of 16-34 year olds who have an interest in your chosen film genre. The film should be a 15 certificate or below. Length: 3 pages (note: the front and back cover count as one page each) It is permitted to use existing generic logos such as production company logos, age certificate logos and barcodes such as focus groups research prior to completion of production work.

 Analysis of the use of media language in similar media products to identify the codes and conventions of the particular genres and forms. Analysis should focus on how specific techniques such as: layout and composition; editing; sound, etc. are used to create meaning, and the way in which representations of events, issues, individual and social groups (as appropriate) are constructed, considering how the choice and combination of elements of media language influences meaning.

  •  Research into how media products are aimed at and target audiences, including analysis of the techniques used to appeal to and engage an intended audience.
  • Secondary research – internet based research appropriate to GCSE into audiences to develop understanding and support analysis.
  • Primary audience research Print 

 Spring Term

 Examination: Paper 1

 Key Concepts;

  • Media Industries
  • Contexts Audiences
  • Representation
  • Media Language

 Section A:

 Magazine Front Covers - Pride, November 2015 | GQ, July 2016

 Film Posters - The Man with the Golden Gun, 1974 | Spectre, 2015

 Newspaper front pages - The Guardian, 4th September 2015 | The Sun, 18th December 2013

 Print advertisements - Quality Street, 1956 | This Girl Can, 2015.

 Section B:

 Online News - The Sun

 Radio - The Archers

 Film - Spectre Bond website

 Video games - Pokemon Go

 Summer Term

 Examination: Paper 2

 Key Concepts;

  • Media Industries
  • Contexts
  • Audiences
  • Representation
  • Media Language

 Section A: 

 Crime Drama - Luther, Series 1 Episode 1, 2010 | The Sweeney, Series 1 Episode 1, 1975

 Section B:

 Music Video and Online Media - Katy Perry, Roar, 2013 | Bruno Mars, Uptown Funk , 2014 | Michael Jackson, Black or White, 1991 

Online media - katyperry.com | brunomars.com