The Hathershaw College

The Hathershaw College - Academy Trust

VLEEmailParentPayTwitter
Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College

Performing Arts (BTEC)

 

Year 9

What will pupils study this year?

2 Year Delivery Model (Y9 & 10)

75% of the marks in this course are available through internal assessments. Students explore a range of dramatic and interpretative skills resulting in two performances pieces. The remaining 25% of the marks are available from the set task unit (Unit 1). This unit is about preparing the students for life outside of school. This unit involves writing letters of application and then the students presenting their work in either a performance or formal setting.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Acting Skills (Unit 3) 

 Students develop their own Performing Arts Tool Kit photographing, documenting and analysing each dramatic and interpretative skill including;

  •  Freeze Frames
  • Stages

  • Split Scene

  • Gestures

  • Improvisation

  • Hot Seating

  • Facial Expressions

  • Role on the Wall

  • Thought Tracking

  • Props

  • Over Exaggeration

  • Body Language

  • Levels

  • Slow Motion

  • Make-up 

 Spring Term

 Acting Skills continued

 Students participate in a series of practical workshops designed to develop their acting skills. These workshops include:

  • Interpretative skills

  • Dramatic techniques

  • Use of Voice

  • Use of Body

  • Improvisation

  • Mime

  • Physical Theatre

 Students have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists. Students keep an ongoing log of their rehearsals documenting their process, influences and progress made.

 Summer Term

 Acting Skills continued

 Students use the acting and rehearsal skills they have developed in the preparation for the performance of a published work to an audience. 

 Students keep an ongoing log of their rehearsals documenting their process, influences and progress made. 

 Students perform this work live at the Summer Show.

 

Year 10

What will pupils study this year?

Second year of a 2 Year Delivery Model 

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Externally Set Progression Opportunities (Unit1)

 Students analyse their skills and prepare a letter of application in relation to their selected progression opportunity. The choices of progression opportunities are not sent to school until September. 

 Using their selected progression opportunity, the students prepare audition pieces or presentations that demonstrate their relevant skills and knowledge. Students can pick to present their performance and technical skills or design skills. 

 Students will have the opportunity to investigate and explore a range of professional works.

 There is an enrichment trip arranged in November/December

 Spring Term

 Preparation, Performance and Production

 Students learn how to develop a performance piece as a member of a fictional performance company. Students focus on the work of the company as a whole developing a range of personal management skills. The students can choose to undertake a performance role or a production role. Students taking a performance role develop, practice and rehearse skills and techniques appropriate to their performance role including;

  • Vocal skills and techniques

  • Movement skills and techniques

  • Dance skills and techniques

  • Singing/musical skills and techniques

  Students taking a production role develop and apply skills and techniques appropriate to their performance role including;

  • Technical skills

  • Construction skills

  • Design skills

 Summer Term

 Preparation, Performance and Production continued

 Students rehearse and refine their work in preparation for a performance. The students stage a production demonstrating their performance or production skills and techniques. Students keep an ongoing log of their rehearsals documenting their process, influences and progress made.

 

Year 11

What will pupils study this year?

1 Year Delivery Model 

75% of the marks in this course are available through internal assessments. Students explore a range of dramatic and interpretative skills resulting in two performances pieces. The remaining 25% of the marks are available from the set task unit (Unit 1). This unit is about preparing the students for life outside of school. This unit involves writing letters of application and then the students presenting their work in either a performance or formal setting.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Acting Skills (Unit 3)

 Students develop their own Performing Arts Tool Kit photographing, documenting and analysing each dramatic and interpretative skill including;

  • Freeze Frames

  • Stages

  • Split Scene

  • Gestures

  • Improvisation

  • Hot Seating

  • Facial Expressions

  • Role on the Wall

  • Thought Tracking

  • Props

  • Over Exaggeration

  • Body Language

  • Levels

  • Slow Motion

  • Make-up

 Students participate in a series of practical workshops designed to develop their acting skills. These workshops include:

  • Interpretative skills

  • Dramatic techniques

  • Use of Voice

  • Use of Body

  • Improvisation

  • Mime

  • Physical Theatre

 Students then use these acting and rehearsal skills in the preparation for the performance of a published work to an audience. Students keep an ongoing log of their rehearsals documenting their process, influences and progress made. Students have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists. There is an enrichment trip arranged in November/December.

 Spring Term

 Externally Set Progression Opportunities (Unit 1)

 Students analyse their skills and prepare a letter of application in relation to their selected progression opportunity. The choices of progression opportunities are not sent to school until September. 

 Using their selected progression opportunity the students prepare audition pieces or presentations that demonstrate their relevant skills and knowledge. Students can pick to present their performance and technical skills or design skills. 

 Students will have the opportunity to investigate and explore a range of professional works.

 Summer Term

 Preparation, Performance and Production continued

 Students learn how to develop a performance piece as a member of a fictional performance company. Students focus on the work of the company as a whole developing a range of personal management skills. 

 The students can choose to undertake a performance role or a production role. 

 Students taking a performance role develop, practice and rehearse skills and techniques appropriate to their performance role including;

  • Vocal skills and techniques

  • Movement skills and techniques

  • Dance skills and techniques

  • Singing/musical skills and techniques

 Students taking a production role develop and apply skills and techniques appropriate to their performance role including;

  • Technical skills

  • Construction skills

  • Design skills

 Students keep an ongoing log of their rehearsals documenting their process, influences and progress made. Students will again have the opportunity to investigate and explore other artists.

 Students will continually revisit and refine written work to increase their grade throughout each term.