The Hathershaw College

The Hathershaw College - Academy Trust

VLEEmailParentPayTwitter
Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College Life at The Hathershaw College

Travel and Tourism (BTEC)

 

Year 9

What will pupils study this year?

3 Year Delivery Model

The majority of the course (75%) will be coursework. This will contain a variety of tasks which will be internally and externally verified. The remaining 25% of the course will be an exam. The exam will be sat in January of the second year. The pupils will have an opportunity to re-sit the exam in the summer term of the second year.

The grades pupils can achieve are: Level 1 Pass, Level 2 Pass, Merit and Distinction.

 

 

 Autumn Term

 This course has been designed for learners who want to gain an introductory understanding of a vocational area. Pupils will develop knowledge and understanding by applying their learning and skills in a work related context. Skills include: working from a prescribed brief; working to deadlines; presenting information effectively and accurately completing administrative tasks and processes.

 Unit 2 (Coursework)

 Students will: 

  •  Know UK travel and tourism destinations and gateways. 
  •  Investigate the appeal of UK tourism destinations for different visitors. 
  •  Plan UK holidays to meet the needs of different visitors.

 Spring Term

 Unit 2 (Coursework - continued)

 Students will continue working on Unit 2 from the previous term before they start a new unit half way through the Spring Term.

 Unit 4 (Coursework)

 Students will:

  • Know the major international travel and tourism destinations and gateways. 
  • Investigate the appeal of international travel and tourism destinations to different types of visitors. 
  • Plan international travel to meet the needs of the visitors.

 Summer Term

 Unit 4 (Coursework - continued)

 Students will continue working on Unit 4 from the previous term before the end of the year.

 Enrichment

 Pupils will have the opportunity to attend at least one trip. The trip will allow pupils to see their learning in a real situation. An example of a previous trip was to MUFC, where pupils had opportunity to be involved in a discussion with the staff from MUFC.  Pupils learnt about how MUFC plays a role as a key visitor attraction in Manchester, and how they meet the needs of international visitors.

 

 

Year 10

What will pupils study this year?

 

 

 

 Autumn Term

 Unit 5 (Coursework)

 Students will: 

  • Investigate how climate and worldwide time can affect the appeal of worldwide destinations.
  •  Understand influential factors on worldwide travel and tourism. 

 Spring Term

 Exam Unit

 Students will:

  • Understand the UK travel and tourism sector and its importance to the UK economy.
  • Know about the industries, and the key organisations, within the travel and tourism sector, their roles and interrelationships.
  • Understand the role of consumer technology in the travel and tourism sector. 

 Summer Term

 Enrichment

 Pupils will have the opportunity to attend at least one trip. The trip will allow pupils to see their learning in a real situation. An example of a previous trip was to MUFC, where pupils had opportunity to be involved in a discussion with the staff from MUFC.  Pupils learnt about how MUFC plays a role as a key visitor attraction in Manchester, and how they meet the needs of international visitors.

 

 

Year 11

What will pupils study this year?

Students will continue to finish work from Unit 2, 4 and 5 until their coursework portfolio's are complete, then students who are re-sitting the final exam in the summer term will undertake an extensive revision routine.